Notes for show on The Voice
on Sunday 13th October 2013
Unsigned bands featured on this week’s show.
Well I have been a bit lazy on the researching unsigned bands front this week. So I am just going to play stuff that I have played before, and deserves another airing. After all, there aren’t many songs that you can get into on first listening.
Now, Sam Dowden has been officially playlisted on the station so I can leave him to one side for a bit.
I’m definitely going to play Canyon Ride – “Shining Warmth of the Sun” and Boardwalk Isabella – “Resurrection Man” both of these are emphatically North Devon bands. Hopefully they will also get playlisted for regular airplay on the rest of the station.
Then I think I will play one from Kiera Osment. I bought her CD from Solo Music in Boutport Street, Barnstaple. I’ll have a listen to that and pick my favourite. She’s been recording since then but I will have to wait for the new tracks. We will playlist her next single for sure. Well we’d be crazy not to wouldn’t we?
After that I feel I can chose three from outside the area and one of those is going to be Troy Faid, because I can’t think of a better guitarist alive or dead.
I’ve not really played The Reasoning much on the show yet. Only once I think, and considering I played their debut album hundreds of times without changing the disc (no exaggeration) I think another outing is called for.
Lastly, I want to play Rolin Humes again. One of the shorter tracks, not “I Don’t Know What I don’t Wanna Know, and I Don’t Go Where I Don’t Wanna Go” which is eighteen minutes long.
- Chris Farlowe is 73 – He was most famous for his cover of the Rolling Stones “Out Of Time“
- Paul Simon is 72 – He needs no introduction, one half of Simon and Garfunkle. In the eighties when CD, Cassette and Vinyl existed side by side, I owned only two albums on all three formats simultaneously. One was Brothers In Arms, by Dire Straits, the other was Paul Simon’s Graceland.
- Robert Lamm (Chicago) is 69
- Sammy Hagar (Van Halen) is 66 – Singer with Van Halen who replaced Dave Lee Roth. In fact Dave’s birthday was only this week on the 10th so surely I MUST play a Van Halen track.
- Marie Osmond is 54 – remember “Paper Roses“? and “Donny and Marie” on TV?
- RnB singer, Cherelle is 48 – Her biggest UK hit was Saturday Love with Alexander O’Neil.
- Paul Potts – Britain’s Got Talent winner is 43
- Ashanti is 33 – She’s had a string of minor hits including “Foolish”, and “Only U” as well as appearing on other artists records
- False widow spiders – Steatoda nobilis is a species of spider that lives in the UK although it is rare. The bite is painful although not fatal. In the last ten years there have been five alleged cases of Steatoda nobilis bites requiring medical attention. About a dozen people die each year due to wasp and bee stings, and there are around 2,000 fatalities on Britain’s roads each year. So if you want to be scared of anything be scared of cars.
- It’s going to be the longest coldest winter ever – Per-leeease. based on what data? It is impossible to predict accurately what the weather will be over a period of more than about a week. Even the daily forecast is hit and miss although it is a lot more accurate than some people seem to think. Saying that it will be cold this winter is the ultimate cold reading – literally. If it’s cold, it’s cold. Deal with it.
- The other ones I want to talk about are too political for radio so I am going to leave it there.